Bosun Buffalo Block
Highly Versatile Articulated Concrete Block
The Bosun Buffalo Block is a highly versatile Articulated Concrete Block (ACB) designed for effective erosion control management. It is suitable for various applications, such as:
- Water channels
- Embankment stabilisation
- Road edging
- Permeable pavements
Once installed, the Buffalo Block creates an interlocking matrix of individual blocks positioned together to establish an erosion-resistant surface while remaining permeable, flexible and fit for vehicular traffic.
The innovativeness of the Buffalo Block is evident in the fact that Bosun holds two design registrations on the appearance and functionality of the block, as well as a patent on the unique design of the block’s nibs.
Benefits of Articulated Concrete Blocks
- Segmental – promotes installation by hand and subsequently job creation, as well as allowing for easier maintenance.
- Permeable solution – combating the negative environmental effects of increased urbanisation.
- Does not require on-site curing – practical and cost-effective alternative to cast-in-situ concrete applications.
- Promotes vegetation growth – environmentally friendly.
Buffalo Block Features and Benefits
The unique geometry of the Buffalo Block is designed with a complete interlock ability in mind, while ensuring application versatility, structural integrity and installation simplicity.
The smaller, segmental design of the Buffalo Block creates a more flexible surface which is less prone to damage caused by the movement of the ground beneath it. Due to this compact design and 100mm thickness, the Buffalo Block has a higher load-bearing distribution and capacity when compared to traditional grass blocks and larger concrete paving elements. In addition, the design ensures that the block is easier to handle and install.
The Buffalo Block features specially designed, patented nibs, providing the following advantages:
- The nibs ensure adequate and uniform joint widths between blocks. This prevents edge and corner spalling commonly experienced with traditional grass blocks when under load.
- The taper on the nibs create a flexible surface which is less prone to damage caused by movement.
- The nibs allow for easier installation on uneven surfaces. Less surface preparation is required as the taper of the nibs ensure the blocks maintain interlock ability while following the earth’s contours. Patent: ZA 2019/06463
The Buffalo Block features multi-directional cutting lines that simplify installation, reduce wastage and ensure that there is increased contact with adjoining surfaces.
When conditions and the design allow, the blocks can “butt” up to the adjoining surface and can function as a cost-effective edge restraint.
Permeability and Vegetation Growth:
The voids in the Buffalo Block allow for the ingress of water, growth of vegetation and the infill of concrete on specific installation designs. The size of the openings per block are 40mm x 40mm. In addition to these openings, the nibs space the blocks apart – further increasing the permeability of the installation. Once installed, they amount to approximately 20,5%/m².
The growth of vegetation in and around the blocks creates a natural look that blends into the surrounding environment, making it ideal for drainage channels, embankment stabilisation and grass block installations.
• Permeable paver
• Soil erosion
• Line attenuation ponds
• Protects water pipes – inlets and outlets stop soil erosion
• Shoreline protection
• Scour protection
• Boat ramps
|Product Name||Buffalo Block|
|Dimensions||400mm x 216mm (L x W)|
|Mass per block||12.227kg|
|Pavers per m²||13.55|